“God is not a belief to which you give your assent. God becomes a reality whom you know intimately, meet everyday, one whose strength becomes your strength, whose love, your love. Live this life of the presence of God long enough and when someone asks you, “Do you believe there is a God?” you may find yourself answering, “No, I do not believe there is a God. I know there is a God.” ~Ernest Boyer, Jr. (Thanks, Ann)

Monday, June 23, 2008

choose courage

Tall one chose to have courage today. I saw him decide. He looked up, searching for me amidst the parents around the pool. Where is that Mom, what will she do? He found my eyes and I tried to send courage through mine to his. I know that I know you can do this! You are my strong, brave boy - you are safe and you can do this! Did my thumb-up make it clear? Did my eyes speak that to him?

I grabbed little fingers poking out of pink cast to say "we need to pray for your brother - he needs help to be brave" and our bowed heads in the hot morning sun tipped together, agreeing that there is courage to be found. Jesus, we need you. Help us to be brave. In cold water and with new teachers. Help! And help those other children to be brave, too.

We squinted to check him - oh! He's out there bravely leaning back in the water! Victory!!

Dripping, with orange goggles pressed into his forehead, I asked him. "You did it! You chose to have courage?!"

"Well, Mom. I didn't want to. But I knew that if I didn't do it then those other kids would have some trouble, too. So I did."

Yes! Victory!!

No comments:

Post a Comment